Monday 18 June 2012

Colourful and not too deer.

Another very early start for me on Sunday morning. Up at 5am and on the road by 5.30. Its lovely having the country roads to myself at that time in the morning. I noticed there were an abundance of rabbits scurrying into the hedgerows as i drove. (Keep thee away from my veggies or i'll run you over)

Selling was slow and steady at the car boot sale and i packed up a little early when rain threatened. The rain never came, but i did get a chance to have a really good mooch around. 

I picked up a crochet blanket for €5 threw it in the washing machine as soon as i got home and dried it off in the sun this evening.  I'm really pleased with it now. I've decided to finish off my very small granny square blanket with lots of rows like this one. It was only looking closely at this one on the washing line that i realized how much more straightforward this pattern is. One ball of wool and off you go till you run out. 





On a multicoloured theme, i picked up these rainbow coloured mugs. They aren't old, I just liked the colours and their potential for space saving, which with my very small kitchen is an important consideration.


They stack.


Not sure i'll use the frame they stack into, but i'll keep it, as I will no doubt sell these on at some point.


 I may well regret this one.....I knew Mr Thrift Bee would question my sanity when i arrived home with this little purchase. He is quite lightweight plastic (the deer, not Mr Thrift Bee) and i thought i could spray him some funky colour.

Or perhaps not.

Source

The white would be cool.

Source

Or if I was feeling a bit glam.

Source

I think he'll come in pretty handy at Christmas.

After I arrived home from the car boot sale, Little Bee was keen to keep up her day long adoration of her father on fathers day, so we decided to make rhubarb crumble for after dinner.

Little Bee using rhubarb leaves as an umbrella.
I cut the leaves off and it was her job to pile them up and take them out to the compost bin. The recent rain meant the leaves were huge.



About a pound and a half of rhubarb, squeeze of lemon, drizzle of water and a couple of tablespoons of sugar.


Top tip: I always make DOUBLE  the quantity of crumble topping and put half in the fridge or freezer for a super quick pud the next time i have a fruit overage. So into the food processor, buzz up 7oz SR flour,   6oz butter and 2oz brown sugar, then stir in 5oz of porridge oats,  use half for to cover the rhubarb and store the rest. It will keep in the fridge for as long as butter would, but you could also freeze it. I had twice as much rhubarb as i needed so the rest went into the freezer, it means I just chuck it all in a dish and have a pudding done any time the range is hot.



In the oven for 40 mins @180 and bob's your uncle.
The resultant crumble was a bit sloppier than usual, in retrospect I probably could have left out the water completely. There has been so much rain recently the big fat stalks were obviously swollen with rainwater.
It didn't detract from its tastiness! And 'Father' approved.

Happy Fathers Day.



21 comments:

  1. So many great things in your post - bargains and food, what could be better! I really appreciate the work that goes into crocheted blankets since I started trying to make one. I've done about 120 granny squares so far (they seem to be getting bigger...) but sort of wish I'd done one like the blanket you bought. Only thing is I wouldn't be able to carry it round in my handbag the way I do with my granny squares.
    Those painted stag's heads seem to be THE thing at the moment - can't wait to see what you do with yours. Would work well at christmas, covered in holly or mistletoe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat the portability of granny squares alright. My first blanket will end up being a mixture of both, i may finish off with a border of squares.

      Delete
  2. That blanket looks like a piece of art hanging on your line in your gorgeously green garden and I know those mugs well, we used to have them at a place I worked a while back, great retro styling and a decent size, too.
    Love your deer's head so much. I'd have snapped him up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix, you are right about the cup size. Any smaller they would be too small, but they are just right for a normal cuppa. My gorgeously green garden is due to the swimming pool quantities of rain we have experienced in the last couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, love crumble. I always put chopped walnuts in mine as well. I am a bit in love with your crazy deer head and I say spray away. I have one of those mini metal silver ones, but what I'd really like is a vast set of antlers to store bangles on. One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakots, VERY much like the idea of added walnuts. Will be doing that for the next one. I came acrss some real antlers at a market a while ago, they weren't mounted, would have made a perfect bangle holder.

      Delete
  4. i love that you scored a plastic horned animal! that has to be one of the coolest finds i've ever read about. it really would look fab painted a solid colour. perfect for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The deer head is really pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhubarb crumble - sluuuuuuuurp!!!!! I forgot how much I love rhubarb and you've inspired me to get back my cooking mojo, which I lost about three years ago:((. How about glitterfying that deer chap? Ooooh you can get so many colours and it might be tricky choosing just one. Your garden and Little Bee have turned my heart to mush:)))). Thank you so much for following me, it's so lovely to meet you!!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh green glitter all over....Now yer talkin'

      Delete
  7. Jeepers those are huge leaves!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your view looks amazing! Love your finds! The blanket is so nice and i'm imagining baubles hanging from the antlers at Christmas. Your homemade crumble looks so good, reminds me of my gran, I'll have mine with some custard and a wee drop of vanilla ice cream mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blankets amazing. Great idea just using the wool till you run out.

    As for that deer!? Wow. How great is he?

    I'm cooking rhubarb crumble and rhubarb compote today as we have masses to. A yummy cheap pudding.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blankie and the stacking cups. Rhubarb brings back so many memories - there was a huge patch of it near the side of garage when I was growing up, and Mom would make jam. The kids from the road would come over and pick it and eat it with sugar, yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Thrift Bee used to eat rhubarb dipped in sugar at his grannies house, so in an effort to encourage family tradition, Little Bee is allowed the first pulled rhubarb stick of the season and free reign with the sugar bowl. I love creating family traditions.

      Delete
  11. That blanket is so cheerful! Love it!

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm I now have a powerful hankering for rhubarb crumble. Thanks for the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are following me as I am really looking forward to reading your posts! Hello and lovely to meet you! Love the blanket and what a scoop it was. Think the antlers would look great painted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love admiring at your great finds! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The stags head is tooo cool. You simply HAVE to paint it and put it on your wall! Love it!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the deer painted white would look wonderful. Great finds, especially the adorable crocheted blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. It really makes my day. I have removed word verification to make it less hassle. Sure don't I know yer not a robot!